My new normal might not include sleep…

So, I’ve been back to work for a week now. Well, four days, technically, since last week had a holiday, but it feels like much longer.

Last week, I had four REALLY long days filled with back-to-back training sessions for 9 hours, and then other stuff to do after work. I like my new job a lot, and it was an even better fit than I thought it would be. I’m really excited to start working on projects, but I still have a pretty intense training program. Most of last week was a blur.

On Monday, we went to the Mac store to see if my computer could be fixed, and to possibly look at new computers. After waiting more than an hour at the Genius Bar (WITH an appointment… ugh), we discovered that it could be fixed! It turns out, I was able to just replace the hard drive for less than $200, so that was a HUGE relief. They even upgraded the OS (not to the most recent one, but it’s still much better than my old one), so it feels like a brand new computer. I’m still slowly getting it set up. I was able to recover the music that was on my iPod and the music that I had bought on iTunes, but I still have a huge box of CDs that I need to manually put on my computer. This will be the third time I’ve had to do that, so I guess I’ll be looking into an external hard drive soon. It is kind of nice to have it all nice and clean, even if it’s missing a lot of files.

Anyway, when we got home on Monday, we discovered that Tinker had a weird goo coming out of one of his eyes, and the white part of his eye was RED. Not good.

On Tuesday, after being at work from 10-6:30, (they let me come in a little late since it was my first day and right after a holiday weekend), I had to go to the Apple store in Soho to pick up my computer. I didn’t get home until around 9:30, and then Andy and I cooked dinner. Andy took Tink to the vet during the day, and it turns out he had conjunctivitis (pinkeye). We had (have… still doing it) to put an ointment on his eyeball three times a day until it’s gone. Ew.

On Wednesday, I started my normal work schedule – 8:30 am – 6:30 pm.  After work, I went to ballet. Normally after class, my friend Hayley and I go out for frozen yogurt (covered in toppings that completely cancel out and of the health benefits of having yogurt instead of ice cream), but she needed to get a manicure, so we did that instead. At 10 pm. Also, it was pouring rain. Well, it was pouring rain all week, which made it extra draining. I got home around 11:30. Loooooong day.

After work on THURSDAY, I went to my first Fashion’s Night Out. I went to Bloomingdale’s and met Donald Glover from Community, and then walked around the Prada and Louis Vuitton stores drinking a Brooklyn Lager. Pretty awesome..

Then I went home around 8:30 because I hadn’t seen Andy and Tinker much all week. And I luckily had a normal day on Friday without anything to do after work (except for a long nap before going out for sushi). It’s going to be a challenge for me to get on a sleep schedule that works with getting up at 6:30 am, because I haven’t had to do that since high school. I tried taking a relaxing, lavender/vanilla scented bath and taking melatonin last Sunday, and I feel asleep at 10 and woke up a few hours later. I just took a bath, and now I’m drinking Yogi Egyptian Licorice tea (which tastes a lot better than it sounds… I don’t like licorice, but it’s good in tea). I don’t know why it’s so hard for me to fall asleep before midnight, but I really need to learn how.

This week’s not going to be much help in getting on a normal schedule. I’m going to Austin, TX Tuesday-Friday for more training. I’m actually pretty excited about that. I haven’t been to Austin since I was a senior in high school, and I have friends from school (and from NY who just moved there!) who live there now. I’ve never had to travel for work before, and it feels kind of good knowing that a company is spending money for me to travel. Also, they gave me a Blackberry for my work email. I had the option of putting it on my normal phone, but we all know how I feel about huge email volumes and being attached to phones. It’ll be useful when I’m traveling at least. I don’t know how I feel about having to carry around two smart phones, but I guess I’ll get used to it.

I hope I’ll have time to keep blogging (and things to blog about other than work), but it may take a few weeks for me to adjust to everything. But it still feels good to be somewhat back to “normal.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to My new normal might not include sleep…

  1. oxymoron1856 says:

    Finding a “normal” routine is so much fun. Just kidding. If your body is not cooperating, you could always go to bed whenever and then finally start going to bed before midnight out of sheer exhaustion? Also, I love Donald Glover!

  2. Seashell says:

    I love Austin. We used to go there a lot when we lived in Texas. Have an awesome time (hopefully you’ll have some time after working)!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s